I’d like to communicate to our 2015 sophomore roster and our 2015 junior roster (projected 2016 varsity tryout prospects) that we plan to take part in a tournament in Gulf Shores, AL during Spring Break (week of March 21st ). This will be the 3rd trip the varsity has taken over Spring Break week and the 2nd one to Gulf Shores, AL. Our initiative is to try and cut down the baseball family’s and baseball program’s unnecessary expenditures. Last spring the varsity team traveled on a charter bus for $4,000 and stayed in a beach resort in 4 units for approximately $6,000 ($1,500 per unit for a week). That $10,000 came out of our program’s fundraising account. In order to help in the expenses, each family was asked to contribute $325 which raised around $5,000. This year, the plan is to save the varsity families an accumulated amount of $5,000 along with the program’s nearly $5,000 by having the boys travel and stay with their own family for the week. Here is the plan:
If your son makes the 2016 Normal West Wildcat varsity baseball team…
- The varsity team will participate in a tournament in Gulf Shores, AL beginning on Monday, March 21st and ending on Thursday, March 24th.
- The team plans to play 4 varsity and 2 junior varsity (mostly juniors and some seniors) games in Alabama during that week.
- The varsity team plans to have DH’s in Illinois on Saturday, March 19th and Saturday, March 26th.
- I expect that most families will leave for Gulf Shores, AL sometime after our DH on March 19th in order to arrive sometime late afternoon or evening in Alabama on Sunday, March 20th.
- We plan to play games in Alabama on Monday, March 21st thru Thursday, March 24th.
- I expect most families will begin heading home sometime Thursday, March 24th to return sometime late afternoon or evening on Friday, March 25th.
- Players/Families are responsible for travel, accommodations, and meals during the Alabama trip.
- If any family plans not to travel to Gulf Shores, they will be responsible to find a family for their son to travel and stay with.
- We are asking that families are willing to Adopt-A-Player for the week if necessary.
- If any player/family cannot find a family to take their son…the Normal West baseball program will make sure ALL players are taken care of.
- The coaching staff and their families plan to stay at Caribe Resort. This is where the team stayed last year. I plan to share information about prices and contact information once the resort has shared with me. I’m working on getting some group rates.
- The NCHS varsity baseball program plans to take their 1st trip this spring. They will be in the same tournament, and plan to stay at the Caribe Resort also. The resort is huge and there will be plenty of available units so don’t worry.
More information about the trip, including game schedules and contact information for setting up accommodations will be forthcoming.